On 15th June 2013 Bang the Bore presented Displacement Activity, a concert inspired by an exhibition of work by land artists Robert Smithson and Nancy Holt at the John Hansard Gallery in Southampton. It featured compositions by Manfred Werder and James Saunders; a publication by Neil Chapman and David Stent; a sonification of Smithson’s mirror displacement methodology by Seth Cooke; and a special edition of Compost & Height’s Wolf Notes journal. This article collects the documentation of that event.
Merry Christmas one and all! To celebrate, Stephen Grasso has sent us the latest volume in his Voodoo Christmas mixtape series. While this is nominally Volume 3, in the intervening year Grasso has located from London to Miami, redubbing this edition A Voodoo Christmas in Hialeah.
The full tracklisting is below, as well as the usual streaming embed. You can download it on mp3 or lossless wav HERE. If you’re new to the Voodoo Christmas series then click these links to download Volume 1, Volume 2 and the equally excellent Pretty Pretty Christmas mixtape by Grasso’s wife Allison Brice
1. Cool Yule – Louis Armstrong
2. What are you doing New Year’s Eve? – Ella Fitzgerald
3. Jingle Bells – Duke Ellington & his Orchestra
4. Christmas Blues – Gatemouth Moore
5. Good Morning Blues (I wanna see Santa Claus) – Count Basie Orchestra
6. Papa ain’t no Santa Claus (Mamma ain’t no Christmas tree) – Butterbeans & Susie
7. Happy New Year – Lightnin’ Hopkins
8. Christ was born on Christmas morn – Frankie “Half Pint” Jaxon
9. Ride on King Jesus – The Four Knights
10. We Three Kings – Arthur Lyman
11. Holiday in Havana – Desi Arnaz
12. Aires de Navidad – Willie Colon, Hector Lavoe
13. Capricho Navideno – Celia Cruz & Sonora Matancera
14. Presente de Natal – Joao Gilberto
15. Boas Festas – Gilberto Gil, Caetano Veloso
16. Frosty – Stan Getz Orchestra
17. Holiday Baby – Fat Daddy
18. Black Christmas – Rose Graham
19. Ain’t No Chimneys in the Ghetto – Sharon Jones & the Dap Kings
20. Merry Christmas Baby – Vernon Garrett
21. Glory, Glory – Al Green
22. Christmas Greetings – Owen Gray
23. White Christmas – Simms & Robertson
24. Christmas Rush – Slim Smith
25. Christmas-a-Come – Eek-a-Mouse
KATHY HINDE | SIMON WHETHAM | ALEX BERTRAM POWELL
Café Kino| 108 Stokes Croft | Bristol | BS1 3RU
Thursday 12th December 2013 | £5
Composer and sound artist exploring the space between nature and technology, and with a CV that takes in blind, echo-locating choirs, piano carcasses and a digital Heath Robinson approach to bridging the mechanico-virtual-visual-avian-aural-kitchensink divide.
Field Recordist and installation artist whose work has moved from intimate close textures to widescreen emotional ambience and back again; recent work engaging with the physical mechanical nature of sound using motors and tactile interfaces.
Musician and visual artist whose work has never shied away from emotion, disquieting or otherwise. Thereminist of some repute, keyboard player in excessively amped prog types ANTA and accordian player for living-the-dream-of-the-1890s tramp enthusiasts Boxcar Aldous Huxley. He rarely plays solo these days so we have no idea what he’s going to do, but we have high hopes.