Missing Nothing is Bang the Bore’s first fundraiser compilation, a 6cdr behemoth featuring music donated by John Butcher, Alvin Lucier, Astral Social Club, Mark Sanders, The A Band, Ashtray Navigations, Bolide and many, many more.
We wanted to release something beautiful that people would want to keep; something that represents the musicians who have played for us during our first three years of events; and something that helps introduce some lesser known bands from our home town of Southampton, UK.
All music was donated by the artists with the intention of helping us raise money to fund our Southampton shows. Initially this will entail purchasing a PA. You can help us by spreading the word, whether that’s via forums, social networking, reviews or however else you see fit.
Missing Nothing will be burned to order, with packaging assembled by hand, in an initial run of 100.
Disc 1 (total duration 01:19:06)
1. After the Rain – Distance 3 (2.53)
2. Ignacio Agrimbau – Anatomy of the Self II (9.13)
3. Andrew Clare – Special Relationship (16.47)
4. Dsic – Gentle People/Extrajudicial Execution (5.05)
5. Quamvis Sum Parva – Skinning Gongheads (recorded live in the Castle Vault, Southampton) (14.40)
6. Annie Lewandowski, William Ryan Fritch & Jennifer Wilsey Trio – Light to Thin Lids (6.00)
7. Hákarl & Daniel Alexander Hignell – Some Members of Our Church Family (6.40)
8. After the Rain – The Walk (12.26)
9. Daniel Bennett – The Cherry Tree Carol (5.19)
After the Rain
Southampton, UK emsemble featuring Ignacio Agrimbau, Hossein Hadisi and Joe Kelly. Debut album forthcoming on Bang the Bore and ATField.
Argentinean ethnomusicologist, composer, improviser, pedagogue and music therapist. Studied with Michael Finnissy, resides in Southampton, UK.
I’m Being Good lynchpin and Infinite Chug label owner.
New Zealand native, now living in Bristol UK, Dsic is the solo electronics project of Greg Godwin, who also runs the LF Records label.
Quamvis Sum Parva
Singing bowls and gongs from Carolyn Bullen of Winchester, UK. Occasionally assisted by Chris and Izaak Bullen.
Improviser and Powerdove singer/songwriter Lewandowski was involved with the Southampton Improvisers Orchestra. She now resides in New York.
William Ryan Fritch
William Ryan Fritch is a film composer, recording artist, multi-instrumentalist and producer currently based in the San Francisco Bay Area.
Percussionist Jennifer Wilsey composes and performs music with a focus on improvisation, polyrhythmic structures, timbre and meditative intention.
The solo project of BtB janitor, occasional A Band miscreant, guitarist and fiddler extraordinaire Kevin Nickells.
Daniel Alexander Hignell
Composer, multi-instrumentalist and field recorder based in Brighton, UK.
Dan records as Skjølbrot and plays guitar in Hunting Lodge. The Cherry Tree Carol is his favourite song.
Disc 2 (total duration 01:18:57)
1. Defibrillators – By Nature’s Hand, By Craft, By Art, What Once Was One Now Fly Apart (recorded live at the Hokaben Festival) (16.15) LISTEN HERE
2. Astral Social Club – Das Oort (15.53)
3. Deepkiss 720 – Recorded on Walkmans Reduced to Mp3 (11.07)
4. Deepkiss 720 – I Don’t Think You Need New Boobs, But If You Do You Should Get Black Ones (extract) (6.15)
5. Deepkiss 720 – Still No Apologies for the Lack of Fidelity (11.11)
6. Deepkiss 720 – The Lost Metal (18.16)
Electronics and drum improvisation featuring Anton Maiof (DTV, Geisha, Antonni Maiovvi) and Seth Cooke (Hunting Lodge, Bang the Bore).
Astral Social Club
Solo ecstatic electronics project from Neil Campbell, formerly of Vibracathedral Orchestra, Smell & Quim and the A Band.
Jason Williams’ Brighton-based Noise project, circa longer than most people can remember, possibly now defunct.
Disc 3 (total duration 01:17:26)
1. Andy Jarvis – Shooting Lasers (4.40)
2. Spoils & Relics – Mainmark (7.47)
3. Ni Dieux Ni Maitre – Mountain State (9.46)
4. Clive Henry – A Lone Sniper in a Liberated Village (9.58)
5. Petals – The Lives and Traditions of Convicts (15.04)
6. Simon Morris Dance Band – Maxime (30.11)
Stoke-On-Trent (Choke-On-Stench) mainstay Andy Jarvis crops up in the bands Dogliveroil, Asymptotem, A Warm Palindrome and Sculptress.
Spoils & Relics
Gary Myles, Kieron Piercy and Johnny Scarr’s inscrutable electronics trio, mixing plunderphonics, improvisation and musique concrète.
Ni Dieux Ni Maitre
Electronics, guitar and violin trio from Southampton, UK, featuring Izaak Bullen, Oliver Barton and Angus Finlayson.
BtB janitor, Noise and DIY mainstay, ran the Cannister ‘zine, runs the Journal of the Belgae Folk Club label and performed as Little Creature until last year.
Kevin Sanders’ noise, field recording and electronics project. Sanders runs the Hairdryer Excommunication label/blog. Resides in Huddersfield, UK
Best known as Ceramic Hobs’ maniacally unfiltered singer, Simon Morris has spent nearly thirty years working out where his sanity ends and his music begins.
Disc 4 (total duration 01:13:35)
1. Rick Jensen Trio – And When I’m Finished, It’s Gonna be a Bloodbath (recorded live at Bang the Bore V) (29.28)
2. Mark Sanders – Bubbles (recorded live at Bang the Bore VIII) (28.41) LISTEN HERE
3. Hákarl36 (minus Barni Yianni, Huw Webb and Jamie Glew Osborn) – 127 64800ths + 151 25920ths + 401 129600ths (recorded live at the Supernormal Festival 2011, then overlaid) (15.26)
Now in his thirteenth year as free improv bandleader, Rick Jensen began assembling trios and quartets in New Zealand before moving to London, UK.
Peerless free drummer who’s played with Derek Bailey, Peter Brötzmann, John Butcher, Evan Parker, Broadcast, Spring Heel Jack and Speeq.
An excerpt from Hákarl’s 36 hour show at the 2011 Supernormal Festival, including Kevin Nickells, Seth Cooke and Clive (the others were asleep).
Disc 5 (total duration 01:16:06)
1. Ashtray Navigations – Bovril Bloody Mary (recorded live at Bang the Bore III) (26.07) LISTEN HERE
2. Bolide – A259 Miami Vice Piss Stop (recorded live at Bang the Bore VIII) (25.14) LISTEN HERE
3. The A Band – Abutter (recorded live at Bang the Bore VIII) (24.45) LISTEN HERE
Phil Todd’s DIY psychedelia institution; the most consistent disguise of the man behind Tea Culture, Inca Eyeball and Betley Welcomes Careful Drivers.
Chaotic Brighton-based EAI sextet that formed for a one-off performance at the Colour Out of Space Festival and have so far failed to disband.
The A Band
Long-running anarchic free improv party whose door list includes everyone, everywhere.
Disc 6 (total duration 01:17:47)
1. Seth Cooke – The Tower (recorded live in a derelict cooling tower) (7.01) LISTEN HERE
2. John Butcher – High Salt (recorded in concert at Neue Musik in St. Ruprecht, Vienna) (14.12)
3. John Butcher – Low Salt (recorded in concert at Neue Musik in St. Ruprecht, Vienna) (11.46)
4. Team Sports – Team Sports vs Frederick J Fredericks (recorded in a cave on the Craig y Cilau nature reserve) (10.45)
5. Alvin Lucier (performed by Lucy & Stuart Bannister) – I am Sitting In a Room (recorded live at Bang the Bore IX in the Castle Vault, Southampton, by Simon Reynell) (34.03) LISTEN HERE
Bang the Bore janitor, drummer with Hunting Lodge, UltraHumanitarian and Defibrillators, performs solo under his own name and as Ganbatte.
World renowned saxophonist, redefining the instrument through site-specific improv, multitracking experiments, feedback and open composition.
Team Sports/Outdoor Sports
Matthew Lovett, Jimmy Ottley and Ian Watson’s site-specific improv trio explore their physical environment as a musical score.
Seminal psychoacoustic composer whose exploration of the physical properties of sound has influenced thousands of musicians worldwide.
Interested in field recording, homebuilt electronics and sound engineering, Stuart also plays bass with Quack Quack.
Professional sound recordist whose Sheffield-based Another Timbre record label explores the overlap between improvisation and open composition.