Forum tip: Using a smartphone? The forum is optimised for smartphone use. Sign in using www.bangthebore.org/borum and click 'discussions' on the top left.
Goodbye club quiet. Hello A+E
  • HenryHenry
    Hello,

Hope your all well .. got some news regarding my input to bristol's experimental activities i wanted to share

I started Club quiet back in 2000 in Brighton; the idea of the event was to have a evening of more thoughtful music with no beats allowed (This was probably a knee jerk reaction to the amount of beat oriented nights in Brighton)… I hosted 15 lovely events over the years I lived there including shows by John Butcher, Rhodri Davis and Steve Beresford. Then things fizzled out. Two years ago i moved to Bristol and brought it back, and put on 7 free gigs mainly featuring local experimental musicians like myself, Seth Cooke, Stuart Chalmers and dsic, and touring guests such as TCH and Kawabata Makoto.

For the last 6 months I havn’t put on a Club Quiet event, choosing instead to work alongside Zam Zam Records to curate and organise the 'NoiseesioN' all day event and help out with the other experimental music events in the basement space of the Island in the centre of town. Recently I have felt more inclined to start curating some more events (although to be quite frank Bristol does not necessarily need me, what with all the amazing gigs that BtB, Qu Junktions, Howling Owl and the Cube, to name just a few, organise). On that note I have decided to retire Club Quiet in favour of my new series of events (and label) Accident and Emergency which I’ll be running along with Robin foster. The name is obviously pinched from the NHS but that's where the similarity stops. In my mind experimental music is ideas emerging through accidents and thus the name made sense to me.

Our first event is a rummaging workshop on Sunday 26th of October, based around a performance practice we have been developing. And our next one on Sunday the 16th of December will showcase live performances from Paul Khimasia Morgan, Seth Cooke, Simon Whetham, Henry Collins and Robin Foster. The venue is the fantastic Gallery Space at the Island

We have also have archived our rummaging recordings, alongside further information regarding the practice, at http://rummaging.org.uk

All the best,

Henry

A+E 001
    https://www.facebook.com/events/307659362750759/

A+E 002
    https://www.facebook.com/events/1500704490170797/
  • dsicdsic
    sounds ace Henry, hopefully will have copies of Seth's new mini-CDR available for the 16th too.
  • HenryHenry
    Correction .. it's Sunday 14th of december not 16th... Yes greg looking forward to that show, what's seth's new cd!!?? .. spill the beans...
  • expexp
    dsic said: sounds ace Henry, hopefully will have copies of Seth's new mini-CDR available for the 16th too.

Excellent. That's exciting!

• HenryHenry
    what's it called?
  • expexp
    Eternal World Engines of the Demiurge
  • HenryHenry
    intriguing title
  • expexp

It's a stoopid title. I'd just finished making Sightseer and fancied making something deliberately fun, noisy and immediate. So it's a kind of broken tribute to Jack Kirby, the cover misprints the Ben Day dots of one of his illustrations until it looks like a glitched point cloud for a 3d design. Loosely based on night terrors I used to have as a child that distorted the dimensions and angles of my body into cosmic/impossible Lovecraftian proportions, accompanied by almost Universe-scale surges of guilt that some kind of horrible error may have occurred in the fabric of reality (these may or may not have been birth memories, I'm not going to make a religion out of it).

• expexp
    A bit like this:

or this...

(click to embiggen)
  • HenryHenry
    woh like your idea of fun!

'i can't fucking move'

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Tagged