Forum tip: Using a smartphone? The forum is optimised for smartphone use. Sign in using www.bangthebore.org/borum and click 'discussions' on the top left.
Twelve Tapes (collaboration)
  • expexp
    Yesterday I found a black plastic tape box in a charity shop. It has 'I ♥ music' written on it and a treble clef.

It can fit twelve tapes in it. Twelve slots to fill (no jokes at the back).

So, one-off art project. Limited edition of one. What shall we do with it, and who should be the recipient?
  • as i look at this, it sez Seth has currently got 1200 posts (that will change soon, naturally) ... so, i'm assuming this was yr 1200th post Seth ... spooky

ideas? uuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhnnnnnggghhhhh......
  • KNICKERS
    12 one-of-a-kind tapes; auction it off for a charity or summat?
  • expexp
    astral_social_club said: so, i'm assuming this was yr 1200th post Seth ... spooky

Yup! That's how I roll NC. My numbers always come up, but only when there's nothing at stake financially. It's my creepyweird superpower.

Kev said: auction it off for a charity

To believe that's a good idea you'd have to believe that twelve us of us associated with this forum could inspire a bidding war. Realistically I think our end product will be inflicted on someone rather than sought after.
  • KNICKERS
    A bidding war not to receive it then?
  • KNICKERS
    (I didn't actually think about that before I wrote it. IT WORKED IN MY HEAD)
  • In.
  • expexp

What are you 'in' for? We need to decide what this is, first!

Twelve Tapes is a collaboration for which Kevin Sanders was the sole volunteer. Little did he suspect that those registered on the BtB forum would unanimously decide that those volunteering to contribute material would be required to layer field recordings from twelve different countries, separated by at least one hundred and twenty miles, for each of the twelve tapes, in am attempt to capture in sound the differences between Jehovah's Witness and Christian eschatologies (144,000 chosen versus preaching the gospel to all nations). Thus Twelve Tapes also stands as a lasting monument of the folly of being the first private to volunteer when your captain orders you over the top.

• In.
  • expexp
    I love you.
  • Overboard.
  • ZosZos
    Hi Seth, if you want a contribution I can give you my piece "Metatron" tailored for either C30, C60, C90, C120 or C180!

P
  • Duncan
    A twelve part vocal harmony spread over twelve c120's performed by Clive Henry.
  • 12 members 12 tapes 12 tone music!
  • expexp
    I guess Zos and Duncan, between them, have elicited probably the first question we need to answer:

Shall we donate something existing and make it a compilation; or shall we treat the box as a medium in its own right and make a one-off?
  • 12 members 12 tapes 12 tone music!

Tape serialism!
    12 performers independently record 12 mins of material for c20s. Each is constrained to 1 (specified) note or sound. The whole thing only makes sense if you play all 12 tapes. Ideally you and 11 of your mates with outdated car stereo systems meet in an underground carpark and play it through.
  • expexp
    Multi-storey car parks is a good idea - picking up where the pre-Zaireeka sessions left off? - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zaireeka#The_Parking_Lot_Experiments
  • heh that probably is where I got it from.
  • expexp
    Car parks are under-utilised in general. What's to stop an NCP offering them as a venue after hours? It's not like there's a lot to break in most of them.
  • This sounds exciting.

Kid Carpet did a gig on an NCP roof here in Cardiff about 10 years ago - I often wondered why it didn't catch on.
  • expexp
    It's possibly less exciting when you think that I'm the only person I know with a tape player in my van. A twelve tape composition for synchronised simultaneous playback would never get played - unless you made a big event out of it. So that puts paid to thoughts of a casual recipient.

I'd be more interested in making it modular - so any combination of tapes played simultaneously, including just one, would produce a satisfying experience.

How about this - we create a tape composition for twelve multi-storey car parks. We'd need twelve volunteers, each with access to portable recording equipment. Each volunteer records an agreed length of music, performed by them in the multi-storey of their choice. We agree some ground rules to how that music is performed beforehand, so that it increases the likelihood that all twelve will work if played simultaneously.

Another volunteer takes the recordings and does (probably very minimal, non-interventionist) post-production to ensure that they all align well (bear in mind tape decks will play at different speeds, so this shouldn't be anything to get too anal over). They then record each to tape.

We agree a score, possibly involving a twelve-sided die (one throw governs how many tapes are used; you then throw the die that number of times to generate which tapes are used), to govern how the tapes are used. We stipulate that it has to be performed in an enclosed underground or multi-storey car park, with at least one 'live' performance alongside the tape.

We package up the whole thing, including the score, and decide what to do with it. It could be a gift to someone; we could start a library from which people could rent one-off items of this sort; whatever we agree.

Would people be up for that?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion