Forum tip: Using a smartphone? The forum is optimised for smartphone use. Sign in using www.bangthebore.org/borum and click 'discussions' on the top left.
BTB Project : Act.
  • expexp
    I started to think about what constituted a 'single, economical action.' Could it contain sub actions? Could you mislead an audience regarding what the action might be? If treating this as a piece of music, is there any reason why the action itself need be audible - perhaps just the result of the action?

That's just riffing off a single word. There are lots of words in the score. Gives you an idea of where I'm headed, at least.

The washing up could be a beautiful response, if washing one single item is how you choose to define 'the washing up' as an action. For me, it'd depend how fast you did it, mic positioning, good quality hydrophones, the room acoustic and treating every item you handle - including the water - as an instrument capable of being played in multiple ways. I think it'd take preparation, practise and some imaginatively used recording equipment in order to be interesting musically. But, y'know, surprise us.

The way I saw this topic - if I couldn't come up with some interesting, nice sounding music that both fit and played with the brief, then that would constitute an embarrassing failure of my imagination.
  • SandorKrasnaSandorKrasna
    Could it contain sub actions?
    Yes it feels like it probably could. If the whole thing feels, in practice, like a single economical action then it's probably a single economical action. See the broom quote.

Could you mislead an audience regarding what the action might be?
    You probably could, it hadn't occured to me.

If treating this as a piece of music, is there any reason why the action itself need be audible - perhaps just the result of the action?
    No reason at all if you find that interesting.

It's not like I've written a piece of music - it's just a text to respond to, with all the ambiguities and slippages texts always have. The thing is to respond to it interestingly. It's a dumb, simple text and as I say, in the context of these things not terribly distinctive. I think the results might be good though. If only because the people here aren't the usual sort of people to respond to this sort of thing and don't have all the baggage of being used to playing John Cage and Christian Wolf pieces in the atmosphere that John Cage and Christian Wolf pieces are usually performed. I've never done this kind of thing before anyway.

If it seems like it avoids responsibility for writing a piece of music then I think that's entirely correct. The results will have very little to do with me, I won't have written your piece. I just wrote the text. Like we were in the pub and I said "you guys should play together, I reckon that'd be good".
  • _ch__ch_
    as an "interesting or nay" tangent, the score describes fairly perfectly a way in which my OCD manifests itself...

so, whilst part of me is really keen to do it, another part of me is hiding in the corner...!
  • expexp
    Sandor: cheers dude. Those questions were meant to elucidate possible ways of looking at the score to people reading who haven't engaged so far. Good to know they're permissible within the bounds of the project, though - otherwise I'd have been totally barking up the wrong tree and doing whatever the hell I wanted.

Clive: that makes me hella interested in what you might come up with! Seems to relate to stuff you've been doing recently, too. Appreciate that might not be much encouragement to embark on something terrifying, though.
  • KNICKERS
    I've finally got an idea for this, but it's necessarily non-digital - will have to post it to you and then let you deal with it/ decide if it's valid/ etc. Shouldn't take me too long, it's fairly economical. Also, it's not music.
  • expexp
    Still need to do mine. I'll text Simon at Left Bank to see whether I can do it there, would benefit from a nice room sound.
    I'd completely forgotten about this...

Kev - whatever you submit I'll accept. If it's neccessarily non-digital though, presumably it can't in itself be put on a webpage and I'll have trouble putting it on a web page?.
    Presumably it's digitally representable in some form though? Even if that form is a text description. So if you can provide some documentation of it that will be puttable on a webpage then that'd be good. Photograph it/film it/describe it/ whatever?
  • KNICKERS
    Well, that's the side of things I'm happy to negate - ie, I'll leave the decision on representation to you.

This is unnecessarily enigmatic, by the way - it is, of course, digitally representable but I don't want to make the decision on how it's digitally represented, for economic reasons (in keeping with my reading of the spirit of the piece).

Presumably, the act of representing something digitally is in itself part of the piece, right? In so far as it's a 'repetition' and a 'variation on the articulation', right? And being as I don't feel adept in this sphere (being enigmatic again), it makes sense to apportion that (in classic division of labour style) to someone who'll do it more economically, right?
  • KNICKERS
    The excess of rhetorical 'rights?' there felt far more aggressive than I meant it to.
    This is going to be pretty enigmatic then:

"Kev Nickells decided not to represent his piece since that would undermine the economy of his single action by adding another action to the work. He was not, however, quite conceptually consistent enough to refrain from appending two further actions to the work: posting the piece to me, or from discussing it on the Borum. To limit further damage to the purity of Kev's piece, to prevent contamination by additional action, I will go no further than this in my representation of the piece."
    More seriously (though I'm at least reasonably serious about the above) I have no idea whether any of that makes sense 'til I see it. I'll trust you that it does.
    I'll have a look and decide how economical I want to be with my own efforts :0
  • KNICKERS

This is going to be pretty enigmatic then:

"Kev Nickells decided not to represent his piece since that would undermine the economy of his single action by adding another action to the work. He was not, however, quite conceptually consistent enough to refrain from appending two further actions to the work: posting the piece to me, or from discussing it on the Borum. To limit further damage to the purity of Kev's piece, to prevent contamination by additional action, I will go no further than this in my representation of the piece."

• expexp
    *Something* exists.

You had to be there.
  • KNICKERS
    Phase one now complete; phase two probably beginning this evening.
  • KNICKERS
    It is done. And, as ever when I do things that aren't things I usually do, I'm really quite proud of myself, prouder than when I do the things that are the things I actually do.
  • expexp
    Just recorded this - doing a quick mix before I head to Bristol. Sounds sweet!
  • expexp
    Hey everyone. Here's my contribution (my action was to noisily empty a box):

Act by Seth Cooke

I had a lot of fun doing this - I'd be really interested to hear/see what more you you do.
    Cheers Seth - I like this a lot. Really nicely recorded and the room's acoustic adds a lot.
    Is it one emptying (resolution = box is empty) or multiple emptyings (resolution = ?)?

Also have one from Kev, which is very different, not audible, but in its way kind of musical I think. Maybe only if you really want it to be. Anyway, I like a lot as well. Pretty funny in a deadpan kinda way. And by and large it has an admirable economy in that it's abundantly clear how it relates to the score, without being totally reducible to it. I still don't entirely understand the mystery presentation but I'm sure you'll explain that (if explaining it doesn't invalidate the mystery purpose?). When I get a chance I'll document it and stick it on a page explaining the project. If either of you want to send any explanatory text get it over to me and I'll include it. Otherwise I'll be presenting pieces as they are.

Also - more submissions would be lovely. I think my friend Adam Burbage, (http://adamburbage.wordpress.com/, http://www.greatworks.org.uk/poems/adb1.html, @burbagea) who's a pretty great writer is doing something - I have no idea what, but he seems to be giving a lot of thought to it and I'm interested to see what he'll do.

Anyone else have something in the works?
  • expexp
    It's two emptyings. Emptying is the economical action, repeating is the repeat with varied articulation.

I kept the tiles. I might just always have tiles on hand. Can't think of anyone else that plays 'em.
  • Denton
    I'm endeavouring to have something to you by the end of the week.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion