Forum tip: Using a smartphone? The forum is optimised for smartphone use. Sign in using www.bangthebore.org/borum and click 'discussions' on the top left.
  • Godstone
    It's about time there were a place around here to discuss all things A Band related.

I've taken a break from playing in the band since last year's Supernormal, and recently I've noticed that I'm not the only one - of the top ten 21st Century players, for example, only Karl hasn't taken a lengthy break since Supernormal, and more than half have yet to end their break. Meanwhile, the new players (particularly those who joined in August 2010) are pressing on regardless, and rightly so. With these facts in mind, it's time to say that 'the torch has been passed to a new generation'. (See The Albion Band for another recent example of torch passing)
  • expexp
    What happened in August 2010? Was that the first A Band Supernormal performance? The one at which Greta got nekkid and I played in the field in the rain?

I haven't played an A Band show since the Elevator Gallery thingie last year, which was half great (the first A Band set) and half poo (the second A Band set). To anyone who has, how has it been? I've been getting the impression that some people have been a bit cryeye about it.
  • KNICKERS
    Someone described a recent gig at the Green Door Store as 'the best gig he'd ever seen'. I was playing drums in my pants.

I imagine it's half convenience, half being arsed. I've not played outside of Brighton because I was largely unemployed last year and now I'm too busy to play elsewhere. People like Dolly, Sharen, Jonas tend to make the effort to get anywhere south-east. A lot of people are into it for a bit then move on. There's been new people for every gig I've played, some of whom don't return, some do.

I like playing in the A Band, but rarely because the music's amazing. I like that it's a place where lots of people feel comfortable playing and there's not much discrimination between frowny austere cunts like me and people doing it for a laugh. I don't like the recent talk of it being 'better in the old days'. I've heard the old days, it was much the same.

• Vic: You wouldn't let it lie! - Proclaimed when one of the guests mentions one of his dark secrets or dubious activities.
  • dsicdsic
    Any chance the Artex/A Lot LP will see re-issue?
  • _ch__ch_
    dsic said:

grab a twenty and go to discogs, you cheapskate... ;-)
    :-D

i keep meaning to look out for a band gigs - i enjoyed the few i've played
  • dsic said:

i doubt it - no master tapes, no label interest, no
  • KNICKERS
    dsic's got a label, I'm sure he'd put it out if anyone from the A Band fancied giving him the nod.
  • KNICKERS said:

dsic's got a label, I'm sure he'd put it out if anyone from the A Band fancied giving him the nod.

ha! DONE!

i think it'd have to be a cleaned-up needle-drop master tho (unless stewart knows different), at least for the Artex side

and on VINYL too, now that CDs are finished
  • KNICKERS
    Get to it then Greg. By next Wednesday, yeah?
  • dsicdsic
    _ch_ said:

dsic said:

grab a twenty and go to discogs, you cheapskate... ;-)

i keep meaning to look out for a band gigs - i enjoyed the few i've played

£20??! Discogs is swimming with sharks and chancers!

• RichT
    I never seem to know if A Band things are happening or not these days, I think it's moved to Brighton
  • _ch__ch_
    where do thangs get listed/advertised?

i just managed to get into the forum (password com-pli-cations) and....

:-)

dsic said: £20??! Discogs is swimming with sharks and chancers!

go on - dive in!
  • Godstone
    re: Artex/ A Lot - I spoke to Tom Lax of Siltbreeze about the possibility of them reissuing it a couple of years ago. He didn't have the funds, but didn't mind if we get it reissued elsewhere.
    I have the master tape of A Lot, and a copy of the Artex tape (which is runs slightly longer after the end of the LP version)
    We could reissue it with a bonus recording of course, such as Advent or the 1st 20 minutes of A Bomb In A Bull.
    Or wait for Must Die Records to release the 20 Greatest Hits set.

re: Brighton - it seems to be the current main centre of activity, but it's only been two years since the first ever Brighton gig, so in two years time who knows where the main centre will be? (could be Dartington or Sheffield or Glasgow, for example)
  • KNICKERS
    C'mon Greg. LF A Band re-issue. You know want to.
  • Godstone
    Maybe it's times to start that fan club and issue everything in the 90s Archive.
  • Godstone
    Meanwhile, back in the modern era, some of the newer players are terrific, and I look forward to seeing them continue the band for the next 20+ years.
  • There's a couple of things wanting 21C releases.
    There's a label bumbelling about over Absent. And Allo Aloe is ripe for the pickings.
    I'm off the phd now so may have time to push a few things.
    There's hours of stuff from the 20th annivesary as well.

So Stewart, when you coming back into the fold, I miss playing with you.
  • There's a label bumbelling about over Absent. And Allo Aloe is ripe for the pickings.

and how many people in the band these days? those "agdam" CDs cost, all in, around £350 to make 500 copies w/ handmade covers, etc... shit, a couple of gigs/recording sessions, get 15-20 people to stump up £20 + yr THERE!

so many dithering labels = D.I.Y!!!
  • BTW, yr old myspace is looking kinda WEIRD these days:

http://www.myspace.com/72692603
  • _ch__ch_
    QUITE.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Tagged