Forum tip: Using a smartphone? The forum is optimised for smartphone use. Sign in using www.bangthebore.org/borum and click 'discussions' on the top left.
THE FOOD AND DRINK THREAD
  • Duncan
    How did I hold off this for so long? I thought about it most days to be honest.

I love food and I love drink. Probably food a bit more but drink is certainly something we can talk about.

How about we come here to discuss things we are/would like to be eating and drinking.Favourites and classics sit alongside exciting new revelations.
    Recipes and suggestions ahoy please. Fresh off the back of xmas we must surely be able to bat a few things around.

I just ate the following sandwich:

Veg sausages, Spinach and home made chili jam ala joe henderson on seeded bread.

The chili jam was perfect. She says it tastes just the same as sweet chili sauce but I disagree. Since this lacks the garlic what you have here is pure chili flavour, a depth so often uncaptured in favour of abnoxious heat. The chili heat here was ideal. You know its there and it warms your mouth post sandwich but never overwhelms.

ALSO, I ate a guinness, mushroom and fake beef pie on xmas day with roasted, red skinned new potatoes done in rosemary and garlic. Never cooked with guinness or indeed any kind of beer in quite this way before but I expect this will become a staple technique soon.
  • Godstone
    My Christmas dinner was goose, which I don't think I'd had in over thirty years. It was delicious, obviously. Not dissimilar to lamb, although gamier of course.
    The roast potatoes weren't the best I've made, but the roast butternut squash was great. Making gravy by adding red cabbage to red wine sauce wasn't the best experiment, but I liked it.
    Miss Hexagon made her Warhola mousse, an american recipe which is not mine to share.
  • Missed this thread and was about to start one, thought I'd search first - boom.

I bought this in the sales after christmas - it's a totally bourgie buy, but it's great. Starts with 99 basic flavours - Beef, Orange, Cabbage, Rhubarb, Rose, etc. etc. and works through their affinities for each other, along with odd snippets of science, culture and outlined recipes. Every time I flick through it I think of things I want to cook.

I used to love stout in beef stews - don't make them so much now i live with a vegetarian, but the fake beef pie sounds good. TVP?

My favourite things to make at the mo are soups. My parents gave me a massive Crown Prince Squash that has made endless amounts of it - one fairly trad one but with miso stirred in towards the end of cooking (my favourite coping with vegetarianism discovery, wherever I'd otherwise use meat stock) and made fancier by stirring in a bit of creme fraiche and dropping smoked chicken into the bowl (smoked tofu for Jess). A thai one was great too (great green curry paste you can buy cheaply in the world food bit of asda)

If anyone's ever in central Bristol and want to eat out really well, but fairly cheaply the Arnolfini Cafe Bar is great. Their tarts, fritatas and salads are great - really simple stuff, but always combining few well chosen flavours that I'd never have thought of using (and subsequently end up stealing). Lots of anise type things of late - chervil, tarragon, dill, fennel, and orange blossom water, grapefruit etc. in grain salads. Home made ice cream too, amazing cakes, good coffee, and a generally italiany main menu that out-italians most of the "proper" italian places I've been to.
  • _ch__ch_
    i am renowned for eating flapjacks.
  • KNICKERS
    _ch_ said:

i am renowned for eating flapjacks.

Prior to actually talking to you, I knew two things: you were in Hunting Lodge, and you lived on flapjacks.
  • expexp
    I make a mean smoked mackerel omelette:

1. Flake a pack of boneless smoked mackerel and gently fry it in a little butter and a table spoon of cream or creme fraiche. Set it aside to cool.

2. Take four eggs and separate the yolks from the whites.

3. Whisk the yolks with a table spoon of cream or creme fraiche. Mix it in with the cooled mackerel.

4. Whisk the egg whites until they reach meringue consistency, or soft peaks.

5. Fold the yolk/mackerel mix into the egg whites, then tip into a frying pan. Fry the bottom, grill the top.

The recipe I adapted adds cheese, but I figured that it added zero so I removed it. Cheese winds its way into too many dishes.
  • GeoGeo
    Raw salmon, raw tuna, blue steak.

The three things I wish I could eat loads of.

Seth said: cream or creme fraiche

That sounds amazing, I'm going to make that this week. But probably add some cream fraiche with chopped dill on the top.

Recently made good with my local butcher, he gives us quail and partridges for £2.50 each. After cooking onions, garlic, other stuff, I brown them then throw them into cook with a whole bottle of red wine and half a cup mixed in with a bit of stock.

_ch_ said: i am renowned for eating flapjacks.

Every time I mention flapjacks to Kev he mentions you. Where did this all come from?!

SandorKrasna said: he Arnolfini Cafe Bar is great.

Have you tried their pizzas? I want to marry them all for their pizzas.

• Duncan
    Managed to forge magic with nothing but garlic, broccoli, mushrooms, soy milk and pasta today. Nuff black pepper obvs but you know. Now working on a cheesy style vegan creamy sauce which can be made prior to any meal and simply heated + thrown over whatever. I'm convinced this can be done with a minimum of ingredients and no need to resort to disgusting yeast flakes.

Also, I need interesting ideas for a main bit of a roast next week. Anything goes. Any recipe is fine cos I can adapt it to be vegan so long as it isn't only some kind of meat. Unusual ideas are bonus. HIT ME.
  • dannaddannad
    Every year on NYE I make pasta and we have it with wild mushrooms chilli and garlic. There was some left over this year and on the 2nd I fried some onion and added chilli and garlic then mixed it all together with a large handful of parmesan. That was good.

This is the best sprouts: http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2009/dec/19/sprouts-caramelised-garlic-lemon-recipe Amazing with roast anything, or just anything.
  • 4 heads of garlic. Ace.

I roast some Sprouts this year, and that was good.

Geoff
  • _ch__ch_
    Geo said:

_ch_ said: i am renowned for eating flapjacks.

Every time I mention flapjacks to Kev he mentions you. Where did this all come from?!

life on the road, man
    whilst the rest of the lodge were scouring the streets for heroin, i would stock up on pocket-sized meals

:-D
  • _ch_ said:

whilst the rest of the Lodge were showering i would stock up on pocket-sized meals to eat while wearing my fetid gig vest

Fixed ;)
  • _ch__ch_
    bourgeois

• Godstone
    that "Flavour Thesaurus" book (see above) was the inspire for my first ever Godstone song.
  • SandorKrasnaSandorKrasna
    I wanted something sweet the other week and all we had was some greek yoghurt, so I thought I'd try and make some sweet nutty thing to go with it. Butter, sugar, nuts ... it was ok because nuts, butter and sugar is always going to be good, but a bit gooey - wrong proportions and generally not that inspired. I've been trying variations ever since. This afternoon I made this and it's very tasty.

Walnut, Preserved Lemon and Cardamon Brittle

Rind of a preserved lemon
    8-10 cardamon pods
    1/2 tsp cinnamon
    a bunch of walnuts broken up into quite small pieces
    maybe 1" cube of butter
    about 7-8 times that of sugar
    water
    Rose water to taste (maybe a tsp max)
    Sink with cold water in the bottom to cool the pan in
    greaseproof paper in a baking tray

Grind up the cardamon pods, discard the husks
    Slice up the preserved lemon pretty thin
    Melt the butter,
    Cook the cardamon seeds in the butter on a low heat for a little while
    Add the sugar, stir around, add enough water that it all dissolves
    Throw in the walnuts, cinnamon, lemon and stir
    Stirr about on a medium heat, and reduce it down slowly (it's easy to burn it).
    When it's pretty well reduced turn up the heat for a little while to brown the syrup just a little. Keep stirring and be ready to take it off the heat and into the sink to cool the pan and stop it all burning.
    While it's in the sink add a few drops (up to maybe 1 1/2 tsp max) of rose water stir around and fairly quickly (don't cool too much) pour onto the baking paper, spread out thin and allow to cool.

Once it's cooled, break up and have it on yoghurt/icecream/etc.

We have an enormous amount of courgettes at the moment and courgette soup is one of our staples anyway. Last night I made the best variation of it I've found so far.

Courgette Soup

3 or 4 courgettes depending on size, sliced very thinly (ribbons is easiest way for me)
    3 or 4 cloves of garlic depending on size/how much you like garlic, crushed into a paste with a little salt
    Fairly generous sprig of fresh thyme
    1tsp lemon zest
    about a pint of chicken stock (enough to easily cover the courgettes)

Put a generous glug of olive oil in the pan, heat to medium heat and drop in the courgettes and a pinch of salt (not too much, especially if your stock is salty) stir for a couple of minutes then reduce the heat to a low sizzle. Put lid half on and cook for about 15 mins stirring at intervals to prevent sticking

make some space in the middle of the courgettes, add a spot of olive oil, fry the garlic for about a minute.

Add thyme leaves and stir the mixture leave cooking on a low heat with lid on for another 10 mins or so.

Add chicken stock, salt pepper, lemon zest, stir well and simmer for 5 mins. If your stock is quite salty (some cubes are) use less stock and make up with water
    Blitz with a food processor or one of those hand whizzer things.

Eat it.

Veg stock is ok instead of chicken stock - I generally do it that way as my girlfriend is a veggie. She wasn't around last night hence the chicken stock. If you're not a vegetarian chicken stock is a lot better. If you are a vegetarian, adding walnuts is good - add a handful of chopped/well crushed walnuts when you add the thyme.

Toasted pumpkin seeds on top is a nice addition if you feel like doing that kind of thing. A little bit of toasted fennel seed could work pretty well too.

Speaking of using up things from the garden. Earlier in the year we had a lot of chard.
    This was my favourite chard invention.

Chard, Stilton and Walnut Tart

Make or buy pastry (I tend to buy readymade because our food processor is knackered and flakes off bits of plastic - I can never be bothered making pastry the non-food processor way)

1 Red onion, sliced thinly
    A load of swiss chard (this cooks down so much that it's hard to tell - basically, a lot more than you think. This tart should be mostly chard - so you want that much chard.)
    1 red onion
    3 cloves garlic
    tsp lemon zest
    2 sprigs thyme
    Stilton to taste (100g maybe? I judge by eye)
    generous handful of chopped walnuts
    butter + a little olive oil for frying.
    2 egg yolks
    1/2 generous desert spoons of creme fraiche

Fry the onions on a very low heat in the butter and olive oil with a pinch of salt for 15 mins stirring occasionally.

While that's frying chop the chard - separate the stalks and chop them finely. Roughly chop the leaf.

Add garlic, chopped chard stalks and continue cooking on low heat for 15 mins

Grease pastry tin (deepish tin), Line with pastry, cut circle of greaseproof paper over bottom and cover that with baking beads (or if you haven't got them - and I haven't - use dried peas or dried lentils etc). Bake for 15 mins, then remove from oven, take out greaseproof paper etc.

Meanwhile stir chard leaves into onions etc, add thyme leaves, walnuts, cover and cook down over low heat for 10 mins.

Remove lid, stir in stilton (crumbled) and lemon zest, continue cooking for 5 mins allowing some moisture to evaporate. Season to taste.

Pour mixture into the pastry case, spread out well

mix egg yolks with creme fraiche, salt and pepper, pour over mixture in pastry case

Put in the oven for 20 mins - 1/2 hr - check after 20 mins. When it's done you'll be able to insert a knife and withdraw without gooeyness.
  • Duncan
    Just saying that a load of puy lentils and some nutmeg blended into that courgette soup will make a very delicious variant and is something we make at my work
  • Cool - I'll try that, cheers.
    Where d'ye work?
  • Duncan
    Infinity Foods Cafe in Brighton
  • KNICKERS
    Mildly OT but I've noticed, as an extension of my recent typomania thing, that cookery books are the crucible of awesome and well-considered typesetting in the modern world.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Tagged