Forum tip: Using a smartphone? The forum is optimised for smartphone use. Sign in using www.bangthebore.org/borum and click 'discussions' on the top left.
one min of sound required for pro-ject
  • _ch__ch_
    hello

i'm doing a thing and i need yr help

PM me, and i will send you a link to a one minute long sound file

please download this and then record me something to accompany it

theres only two rules as such:

i) please give me something that accompanies/complements the original sound file - you might record something quite conflicting with the sound file, but nevertheless it should be recorded with the original in mind. simply imagine the two playing simultaneously
    ii) please give me one "layer" of one instrument, i.e. one violin track, or one guitar track, or one synth track, or one vocal track, and so forth. Not two mixed guitar tracks or a mixed track of drum machine and sousaphone... ok?
    field recordings are entirely acceptable, nay, encouraged; but they should not feature traditional musical instrumentation.
    etc.

all good?

this is a long-term project which make take me a while to complete; tho on the other hand, if i get a zillion tracks tomorrow, perchance twill be done sooner.
    feel free to send multiple tracks, tho if i do get swamped (ho), don't be upset if don't use them all

all contributors will be credited and thanked on the eventual release, and will receive a copy of said release.
    i may even do a special contributors version.

:-O

thanks for yr time

• expexp
    I'd be up for this... although it strikes me that doing it all by PM, this topic is likely to sink down the forum for potential lack of posts and people may not eventually see that it's there to contribute. If you PM me the download link I could have a go next week.
  • Aye - link us up mofo. I confess that because I didn't see the link I thought "I'll take care of that later" and if exp hadn't bumped this back to the top of the forum, I'd probably have forgotten.
  • _ch__ch_
    i shall keep bumping then....

• i have sent you a PM.

also: bump
  • expexp
    I meant to write this toward the tail end of last week when I listened to your Little Creature disc, but man you've got a good singing voice. Good in the sense of compelling and characterful, which is the best sense.

Just got round to downloading this. I can think of a few things to do with it, are there any limits on how many things we send you? I won't get a chance to take a pass until next week at the earliest, but I will definitely send at least a couple of responses. Can you let us know if the timeframe becomes a factor?
  • Had a listen and a think yestereve.
    I have two ideas, one for guitar, one for digitals that I'll try to realise. Maybe tonight.

Qs -
    Are you looking for unprocessed sound?

Are you looking for undedited sound?

Are you looking for one instrument in the sense of 1 voice/ continuity of voice? I ask because if I get all concrete on your ass then the sounds may be more heterogenous/ discontinuous.

If editing and processing (not of you) are acceptable, then are there limits?
  • _ch__ch_
    hello

exp -
    no limits on how many you send, but also no guarantee from myself that i will use them all

no current timeframe issues, no; this might be a long term project

sandor -
    sound can be processed or edited without limits

hmmm. arguably, you could play guitar for 25 secs, spend 10 secs putting the guitar down and picking up a tuba, and then play tuba for 25 secs. so, the 1 voice/continuity of voice idea i put forth is misleading... :-/

i'm trying to think of the simplest way of explaining it.
    one layer.
    i don't know - if you were in the studio with tiny tim, and the album was 100% done, and he suddenly said "hmm, i just need a final little thing here" and there was room for one element on one track of the desk...
    is that any better?

nope. :-D

ok - how about, yr one minute should carry the same "weight" and "presence" as my original one minute?
    that if they were put into a mix, they would carry similar weight and presence in that mix and not overly dominate each other....

?

exp -
    thank you for kind words about my voice, but truth be told, i've absolutely destroyed it, and it pains me if i think about it

:-(
  • add me in, yeah? ;)
  • expexp
    Sorry, haven't had a chance to get to this yet. How is it coming along?

I've got an idea for something I could do with it...
  • _ch__ch_
    probably won't do much with it till april...

need waaay more people involved tho...!
  • expexp
    How many people would you need to make it work?
  • FreqFreq
    OK, I'm in... will send a PM
  • wubwub
    Hi, I have just signed up and saw your request. Would love to join in, can you send me the link?
  • expexp
    Welcome to the Borum, wub (is 'wub' from the Philip K Dick novel)?

Oh, and hi Freq/Rich. Nice to see you round these parts. Hope Tim doesn't get upset by my wee wee comments.
  • wubwub
    I listen, I digest, I reflect back, I move on.....
  • wubwub
    Thanks for your welcome exp - just read my reply and I sound like a bit of an arse, so maybe I am.

On reflection a better answer would have been: Thanks and Do Androids Dream of Sleep?

One of my favourite writers, along with Moorcock, Heinlen, Simak and Crace, Dick's short story seems to reflect my own musical journey as I continue to voraciously consume and live (for a time) one genre after another. As each previously ignored style of music begins to works it's magic on me I invariably end up looking for it's dark corners though - perhaps a subject for discussion later.

Thanks for the file martin_p

I have a number of ideas and have played around with it already, but wonder if a manipulated piece of vinyl is also in the spirit of the thing. Perhaps I will just send it in due course anyway, it's your call at the end of the day!
  • _ch__ch_
    manipulated vinyl is all good :-)
  • You have 4. One might be a bit unbalanced with the original (overwhelming), one is very cheesy. Nonetheless, 4 have been sent.
    x
  • Reading your rules back, a couple may not be acceptable. At least 2 are entirely within the rules though.

And actually if the two that I think arent acceptable aren't acceptable then I'd like to develop them into track myself so all is good.
  • expexp
    Timely reminder, this. I'll try to do something in the next few days. I know what I want to do, but I'll probably take multiple passes at it so you've got some choice.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Tagged