Forum tip: Using a smartphone? The forum is optimised for smartphone use. Sign in using www.bangthebore.org/borum and click 'discussions' on the top left.
BTB Project : Act.
  • SandorKrasnaSandorKrasna
    No idea if anyone else will be interested, but here's a proposal for a group project

---------------------------
    Act
    For individual or group acting as one, and any musical or unmusical objects.

Perform a single, economical action.
    Repeat, varying articulation as the action demands.
    Continue until the action is resolved.

"does someone who says that the broom is in the corner really mean: the broomstick is there, and so is the brush, and the broomstick is fixed in the brush?"
    (Wittgenstein Philosophical Investigations No 201)

All social life is essentially practical. All mysteries which lead theory to mysticism find their rational solution in human practice and in the comprehension of this practice"
    (Marx's eighth thesis on Feuerbach, Marx and Engels, 1977, p.122).
    ---------------------------

Submissions can be in any form.
    Preparation is allowed, but no post processing/ clean up of any form

I'll put together a webpage for the results.
  • dsicdsic
    you mean like this?

type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"
    width="425" height="344">
    dsic said:

you mean like this?

type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"
    width="425" height="344">

You'd need to copy the youtube clip in at least once more to fulfil the terms of the score.
  • KNICKERS
    Fucking students.
    again, semi-ironically and obliquely shitting on the project needs to be repeated in order to qualify :P
  • KNICKERS

again, semi-ironically and obliquely shitting on the project needs to be repeated in order to qualify.

again, semi-ironically and obliquely shitting on the project needs to be repeated in order to qualify.

• KNICKERS
    Sorry, I saw something that made me VERY angry with how entirely bad it was last night that made me want to listen to the Stereophonics and beat up women.
    Fascinating biographical detail there :)
    Interested or not?
  • KNICKERS
    Possibly, will have a think.
  • Jack_DefJack_Def
    SandorKrasna said: "does someone who says that the broom is in the corner really mean: the broomstick is there, and so is the brush, and the broomstick is fixed in the brush?"

No?

• Jack_DefJack_Def
    Jack_Def said: SandorKrasna said: "does someone who says that the broom is in the corner really mean: the broomstick is there, and so is the brush, and the broomstick is fixed in the brush?"

No.
  • expexp
    I've got something in mind for this. I just need a nice sounding environment to do it in, where people won't think I'm a mentallist.
    Jack see also "does a bear shit in the woods"?

Seth - excellent. Beginning to think I should just have emailed you and the usual suspects. I think Dom'll be up for it too tho.

• expexp
    SandorKrasna said: Beginning to think I should just have emailed you and the usual suspects.

Yeah, disappointing response so far - not just in terms of lack of take-up, but in terms of forum clutter instead of interesting responses. More signal, less noise would be good.

If you write your email then I'll send it to a few choice people on my contacts list. Might be able to drum up some more responses via FaceStab too. And a blog entry on the front page might scare up something.
  • I'm a little confused as to what it is?
    It's a text score open to responses in any form from anyone who's interested.

Text scores are pretty common these days, but I guess if you don't listen to that kind of music they're maybe a bit baffling.:

http://www.textscores.co.uk/about.htm

This one is a back of the envelope, fairly run-of-the-mill example and I'm almost certain something pretty much identical will exist elsewhere. I just thought that it'd be interesting to see what response it got from people who don't normally do this kind of thing. But for the same reason I'm not mega expectant of people being interested.

If it's too wanky for Kev then maybe it's just too wanky for btb

Seth - cheers.
  • KNICKERS
    Ah, I was being a prick, ignore me. Sorry.
  • dsicdsic
    SandorKrasna said: Act
    For individual or group acting as one, and any musical or unmusical objects.

Perform a single, economical action.
    Repeat, varying articulation as the action demands.
    Continue until the action is resolved.

Sounds interesting but I've obviously misunderstood the above - where does the score come into it?

the above could describe a loop?
    Well point is to see what people do with it - so if someone hands in a loop then that's how they wanted to approach it.
    It comes down to what counts as performing and an action though I guess
    so it could if someone was making it loop manually by say pressing the button each time - otherwise arguably there'd only be one act - trigger the loop.

But as I say it's down to peoples' responses and what they think would be the most interesting way of approaching it.

Just as a dumb example - hammering a nail would fit the bill. Hit the nail with hammer is the action - you vary the blow and power, it's resolved when the nail is in.

"Where' does the score come into it?"
    These things generally get called text scores but "Score" is maybe a red herring if you expect a score to be notes or graphical notation or somethng. For "score" read "instructions for a piece of music" or actually I guess this could be anything - not only a piece of music.

• Ok, so I understand, and am generally well aware of text scores.
    I just still find the project slightly confusing, it doesn't feel like we have to hand it in or do anything specific with it, but just have to do something repetitively with variation. I'm just a little confused as to what it is that makes that this rather than that something else (like doing the washing up)?
    TheZeroMap said: t doesn't feel like we have to hand it in or do anything specific with it

SandorKrasna said:
    Submissions can be in any form.
    Preparation is allowed, but no post processing/ clean up of any form

I'll put together a webpage for the results.

If you don't submit it you're not involved in the project I guess. And if you do submit it you are. I mean, when someone asks for a track for a compilation you could just write a tune called "Peas" in your room. Maybe just in your head, or whistle it but not record it.
    It just wouldn't be part of the compilation though, because you didn't submit it.

If you think doing the washing up would be an interesting submission then I guess that's ok. Maybe you'd film it, or record it?
    If you did that I'd stick it on the page with your name against it.

Maybe if you approached the washing up as a series of economical actions?
    I mean, I think doing it with the rules in mind will change the attitude to doing it and it'l change the way people receive the results. Would that make it interesting and worthwhile though? Dunno. I'm skeptical but if you had your heart set on it then I'd trust your judgement.

You can phone in something based on a cursory glance at the text for any call for submissions if you really want to. The difference between doing that rather than thinking about what would be an interesting response and then making an interesting response is pretty considerable. For a start, there are more words up there than "repetition" and "variation".

But I specifically don't want to detail what I think would be a good response because that'd invalidate a large part of the point of this.
    And as I said right off the bat - I'm not sure if anyone will be interested.
    I'm not interested in trying to convince people to do it if they think it's a rubbish idea.
    I'm happy to accept anything from anyone who is insterested and has a crack at it. I think the sort of person who's interested in doing it will probably do a reasonably good job with it.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion